THE BEGINNING SNOWBOARD LESSON
1. Introduce yourself to the student, ask names, be friendly, talk briefly about the ski hill (lift locations, lodge, ski shop), present goal of beginner lesson (learn to control speed, direction, and ride lift). (Remember the acronym, WWWWH: WHO - beginner, WHAT - basics, WHY - to learn to ride, WHERE - gentle slope, HOW - explanation, demonstration, participation, practice).
Your lesson should be student centered.
2. Review safety considerations such as "Your Responsibility Code", ski patrol, where to sit on trails (to the side and out of way), how to sit on trails (looking up the hill).
3. Discuss aspects of equipment (symmetrical board, asymmetrical board, hard and soft bindings, tip, tail, side cut, regular foot, goofy foot, slalom board, free style board, retention strap). Show how to secure boots to bindings and how to attach leash.
4. Instruction with front foot in binding only (skidded turns):
a) Walk on flat area, walk around in circle, walk figure 8, skate on flat area, skate in circle, skate in figure 8.
b) Show basic snowboard stance, regular foot, goofy foot, free style, slalom. Teach sitting position, kneeling position, roll over between kneeling and sitting position. Exercise: weight fore & aft, heel & toe, counter rotate upper body with respect to lower body, skate to glide, lean in direction of turn, look in direction of turn.
c) Climb shallow hill, show first application of edging, preparation for straight glide.
d)Perform straight glide, heel side traverse, toe side traverse, heel and toe side slip. Exercise: ride high, ride low, vary edging on side slip.
e) Perform elementary turns down fall line or slightly off fall line, keep speed minimal, and terrain flat. Turn by twisting upper body in direction of turn. Add a little front foot toe and rear foot heel pressure to help the toe side turn. Add a little front foot heel and rear foot toe pressure for the heel side turn. Exercise: look turns, rudder turns, patience turns, balance exercises, accelerator pedal turn.
5. Instruction with both feet in bindings (skidded turns):
a) Review basic snowboard stance, regular foot, goofy foot, free style, slalom, getting up. Exercise: hop on boards, lift/press toes, lift/press heels, weight for/aft.
b) Perform straight glide, heel side traverse, toe side traverse, heel and toe side slip. Exercise: ride high, ride low, vary edging on side slip. Lift toes, press on toes.
c)Perform heel and toe falling leaf. Exercise: alternate heel and toe side falling leaf.
d)Perform elementary turns (use fan method if necessary). Exercise: look turns, rudder turns, patience turns, accelerator pedal turns.
e)Perform garlands to practice crossing fall line.
f)Link heel side and toe side turns with a traverse in between.
g)Learn usage of lift (Introduce any time between tasks 5c and 5f).
h)Get lots of mileage, practice, practice, practice.
6. Conclude lesson, recap what was learned, were goals accomplished, get feedback. Tell students what to expect in the next lesson, sell the next lesson.